Sunday, October 12, 2014

They're Fine. They're Young. They're Cannibals.

As group names go, the Fine Young Cannibals was a good one. Besides spawning a ton of delicious chanti and fava bean jokes, the FYC also gave birth to many number one singles around the world, and two in the U.S.

She Drives Me Crazy and Good Thing.

For a while you couldn't switch to any radio station without hearing SDMC, or go to any club where they weren't playing it. I remember this one night in particular at Starwood. I was wearing my platform shoes and bell bottoms...

Perhaps I've said too much already.

Anyway, time marches on, and the lead singer of the FYC, Roland Gift, is 53 years old now. He's still touring, singing a few FYC songs but mostly his own. I can't tell you exactly why, but it makes me happy he's still out there doing it.

I never thought the 80's were a stellar decade for music. But at least there was one song that drove me crazy for the right reasons.

No comments: