Friday, February 10, 2017

Comedy tonight

I don't know about you, but with all that's going on in the world I could use a few laughs. So I decided to go find some. I have three two-man routines that usually bring a smile to my face and take me away from thinking about the nightmare in Washington D.C. for a few minutes.

The Peter Cook/Dudley Moore sketch from the Secret Policemen's Ball never ceases to amuse. Most people remember Dudley Moore from the movies Arthur and 10. But long before, him and Peter Cooke were part of a comedy revue called Beyond The Fringe. And in this reunion piece, it's clear they haven't skipped a beat.

Watching Abbott and Costello perform their classic Who's On First always leaves me in awe. Not just because of their flawless timing, but also the brilliant intricacy of the writing and total commitment to the performance.

Finally, the Smothers Brothers. They've always held a special place for me, even more so after I wound up years ago having breakfast with Tommy Smothers.

Anyway, if you're anything like me - and seriously, if you are you need to set your role model goals higher - these three sketches will bring a smile to your face as well.

Settle in, and enjoy.



No comments: