Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Deadlines and other fairy tales

Funny thing happened on the way to writing an assignment for a company I do work for.

We had a conference call last Friday afternoon - late afternoon - where several of their people went over the new products they wanted me to write about. Turns out it's going to be a lot more work than I expected (or wanted to do over the holidays), but of course by now you all know my motto: the checks clear.

I wasn't worried about it, because when we all got off the call, the understanding was that the work wasn't due until the first week of January.

At least that was my understanding.

So imagine my surprise when I got an email on Monday asking the status of the work and when I'd have it to them.

I wrote back, and decided truth was going to be my first tactic. I told them not only had I not started working on it, but the agreement was first week of January. Oh, and by the way, they hadn't approved my estimate.

About that estimate. Don't get me wrong - I'm nothing but grateful that this particular client keeps coming back to me with more work. But the holidays are the holidays. So when they asked for an estimate, I gave them one with my holiday rates.

The ones that make it worth my while to be working over the holidays instead of going to movies, spending time with my kids, eating like Oprah at the buffet for two weeks and sleeping off the egg nog and bourbon.

Just kidding. I haven't liked egg nog or bourbon since I got wrecked on several glasses of the mix in high school.

I'm still not sure the room has stopped spinning.

Anyway, the client came back to me just sorry as hell for the misunderstanding. They very politely asked if I could have a portion of the assignment done next week - if it didn't interfere too much in my holiday plans - and the remainder of it in January.

I said sure.

They also told me they'd approved my estimate, which frankly gave me just what I was looking for to start the job.