For all the creative minds working in agencies, somehow they’ve collectively decided to glom onto the word “intersection” as the word of choice to describe who they are, what they do, and what they’re bringing to the party.
And because agencies have never met a bandwagon they didn’t want to jump on, you can now find these roadmaps plastered across agency “About” pages all over the interwebs.
One agency wants you to know you’ll find them at the intersection of creativity and strategy. Kind of feels like the price of admission for an agency, but sure. Put up a sign.
Another will meet you at the intersection of creativity and technology. Welcome to the AI bandwagon. Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle.
Insight and imagination? There’s an agency for that.
Human behavior and technology? Apparently the robot revolution is already taking client meetings.
Some agencies have decided two roads simply aren’t enough. Their intersection needs an intersection. Culture, creativity and commerce sounds nice. Maybe not as nice as data, technology and creativity.
I’m sure there are agencies out there living at the intersection of curiosity, connection, disruption and authenticity. And I'd bet front row Springsteen tickets they're wearing black turtlenecks.
Personally, I think a lot of these agencies actually live at the intersection of bullshit and more bullshit.
Somewhere along the way, “intersection” stopped being a useful description and became an agency magic word that takes two expected agency job descriptions and makes them sound like they’re cultural insights no one else has ever thought of.
Chocolate and milk? Peanut butter and chocolate? Strawberries and yogurt? That’s just crazy talk.
Here’s the thing. Not every agency needs an intersection. And almost none of them need a manifesto.
Virtually every agency website shows work they've done and they're proud of. And if it doesn't, that's definitely not the agency you want. But if an agency has great creative that gets the job done, how about letting the work do the talking. It’s much more convincing than a paragraph about how your agency exists at the crossroads of human truth, cultural relevance, transformative possibility and whatever other words survived the edit.
I’ve written countless manifestos for agencies and clients over my career. (Pausing to laugh for using the word "career"). But in all those years and manifestos, I never once used the word “intersection.” Somehow I managed to describe what an agency did without pretending it occupied some mystical piece of real estate between two nouns.
Does that mean I live at the intersection of smarter and less hackneyed? Who's to say.
Tell ya what. Meet me at the intersection of modest and humble, and we’ll talk about it.
If the agency hasn’t rebranded that corner yet.

No comments:
Post a Comment