Sunday, February 28, 2010

Off the island for a night

Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a LOST addict.

All together: Hi Jeff.

Even though I don't wear t-shirts with the numbers (although I bought them for my kids), I don't own a blue '68 VW bus (although I've looked for one on Edmunds), I don't have Dharma logo decals on my car, I didn't name my daughter Kate (or Juliet, or Claire, or Penny) and I don't use "Namaste" as a greeting, the addiction runs deep. I occasionally catch myself saying "Dead is dead." and "Live together or die alone."

I'm not about to kid myself I can quit anytime. That's just crazy talk.

Last night was LOST night at the annual Paley Festival, a two-week celebration of the top television shows of the moment put on every year by The Paley Center (formerly The Museum Of Broadcasting, formerly The Museum of Television & Radio). For the price of the ticket, the public can see panels made up of the actors, producers, writers and directors of the shows. And if you're addicted to a particular show - say for example one about a group of airline passengers who crash on a mysterious island - it's an outstanding evening of stories, process and behind the scenes intrigue.

The LOST panel was made up of several executive producers/ writers, and three of the main stars: Locke (Terry O'Quinn), Ben (Michael Emerson) and Richard (Nestor Carbonell). Each was intelligent, funny, entertaining and just as much in the dark as I am about what's going to happen to their characters from week to week.

Since addiction loves company, I was there with my son (sadly addictive behavior is often passed down to the children), and my good friends Mike and Janice, two fellow LOST addicts.

All together: Hi Mike, Hi Janice, Hi Jeff's son.

The evening was spectacular. Like the show, the panel was just as mysterious when it came to answering some of the questions, and we were all left wanting more.

But here's the sad truth about LOST addiction. Even more is never enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your addiction. I can't help but think we're being set up for epic disappointment rivaled only by the experience of the independents who voted for Obama a year ago.

Here's my prediction: The entire Lost series is nothing more than a crazy dream experienced by Michael Cera, star of the all new "Gilligan's Island" movie. That's right, Lost is nothing more than an elaborate promo. William Shatner as the professor. Megan Fox as Mary Ann. Christina Hendricks as Ginger.

Just be prepared. That's all I'm saying.

Janice MacLeod said...

I'm Janice and I'm a Lost addict.

(all together now: Hi Janice)

The event was completely satisfying. I loved learning that the creators and actors are huge fans of the show, which surely adds to the magic. And I love how the actors really don't know what's going on when they shoot scenes. So when Benjamin Linus says, "How many times do I have to tell you, John? I always have a plan," the actor really truly has no clue what that plan might be.

James G. said...

I'm James and I'm a Lostaholic
all together: Hi James.
I also went to this amazing event and it was the ultimate fan experience (rivaled only by comic-com) and I can't wait for the Lost ride at Disneyland. Get spun around in a dark room, get punched in the face and have Damon Lindelof say, "You've just had the Lost experience." Truer words have never been spoken.