Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Phlegm Fatale

This morning I got the answer to a question I've never asked before: what would it take to make Joan Rivers voice sound like Pavarotti?

On the master list of things like nails on a blackboard, forks dragging across dinner plates, drumming fingers and mosquitoes buzzing your ears, I'd like to add one more: Lisa Stanley's voice.

Every morning I listen to Kevin and Bean on KROQ. But this morning while I was driving my almost eleven year-old daughter to school, I thought I'd put on something a little more appropriate for her tender ears (it meant missing Ralph Garman's Show Biz Beat, but after all it was my decision to be a parent). So I tuned into KRTH because what could be more harmless than oldies. When the FM display hit 101, the voice that came out of the speakers was as smooth as gravel washed down with a cold glass of whole fat milk. My daughter asked, "Why doesn't she clear her throat?" I'm guessing Lisa Stanley gets that question a lot.

Apparently this woman is KRTH's entertainment reporter. Which I suppose works if your idea of entertainment is watching dogs ears bleed. I imagine the red carpet isn't too crowded when she's working it.

Of course the answer was simple. I told my daughter she could change the station. She tuned it to Radio Disney.

Perhaps I've been a little too harsh on Ms. Stanley.

 

No comments: