Thursday, December 23, 2010

Don't send me eCards for the holidays

Everyone's busy this time of year. I get it.

I also get how time consuming and tedious sending out Christmas and holiday cards can be. As an award-winning procrastinator, I usually wait until the last minute before I get mine done and out.

But I do eventually get it done.

And the last thing I'd ever do - using the clock running down as an excuse - is send an eCard for the holidays instead of a real one to someone I even remotely cared about.

At our house we have a breakfront in the entryway. You can see from the picture we put all the holiday cards we receive on it. Sometimes there are so many they overlap. They stick out. They fall off. But they also demand to be looked at, and they make the season feel special. They bring joy to each of us every time we walk in, out or by the front door.

eCard's are like the ice-queens of the greeting card world. They have no feelings and just leave you cold. Instead of giving joy, they rob you of it. And even though they usually say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas or Happy New Year, what they're really saying is, "I couldn't be bothered."

How fast do I delete eCards? Canadian pharmacies and Nigerian lottery officials have a better chance of getting their emails read.

So if you want to send me a card, send me a real one. And if you don't, then don't.

But just know I'd have put yours right in the middle.


P.S. Unless all you have is my email address. Then you're good.

1 comment:

Janice MacLeod said...

I received a textmas card! It was a photo of a real card.

Incensed.