Monday, April 25, 2011

An eventful day



It's been eleven days since my last post. I usually don't let that much time go by between postings, but I thought there wasn't much happening I cared to write about so why write about nothing.

Besides, I've done that already.

Then I was listening to the Show Biz Beat on KROQ, and Ralph Garman started to run down celebrity birthdays for the day. And I started thinking a lot of other things must've happened on this day besides celebrities being born.

Come to find out that days, like used cars and my high school girlfriend, have a history all their own. Throughout the years, lots of things happened on them (see high school girlfriend joke).

Wikipedia has a site devoted to anniversaries of days and the events that transpired on them. For example, on this day, ReneƩ Zellweger was born, Art Fleming died (dead game show hosts for a hundred Alex), the integrated circuit was patented, DC Comics published its second major superhero (starts with a Bat, ends with a Man), and New York became the first state to require automobile license plates.

Although if you've ever driven in New York, you have to wonder why they bothered.

Anyway, that's just scratching the surface of what transpired on this day over the years. It's a good reminder that important things - life-changing events, technological advances, history-making decisions - are happening and have happened on each and every day I've ever lived. Even if I don't feel like anything is happening in my day.

Reading about everything that happened throughout history on this day had me thinking about doing a post about time travel.

Maybe another day.

No comments: