Saturday, June 26, 2010

That time of year

Every August, we dip into the kids college funds (I kid - what college funds?) and go have ourselves a week at my own personal bit of heaven on earth, the Hotel Del Coronado.

This will be the 9th year we've gone.

It's a ridiculously expensive week, and worth every cent. Fire up the charge cards and unleash the room service. $25 a day resort fee for nothing? Bring it. (Some people think that fee entitles them to take as many bottles as they want of the Del's own incredible brand of shampoo, The Sea - or so I've heard).

We don't stay in the famous Victorian building. Instead we prefer the California Cabanas. This picture is from the patio of our room last year, though it could be from any year we've been there since we always request one of four specific rooms on the second floor of the Cabanas. These rooms give us this view, as well as the ocean to the left. They also look straight out over the pool, so we can see the kids when they decide to go down there without us.

Since my kids have been coming here since they were very young, they know this property like their own home. It gives them a great feeling of independence knowing they can navigate it on their own. They know there are a lot of people and they have to be careful. They are.

There are very few places only a couple hours away that make me feel like I'm out of the country. The Del is one of them. It's also a place I can genuinely relax, or at least feel that way without taking five days to ease into it.

The moment I arrive, all the stress just melts away. In fact, it doesn't come back until I get the bill at checkout.

When the week is over, I always dread leaving. On the drive back, I look at the $10 million dollar homes on Coronado we've biked by during the week and wish I knew exactly when my lotto win was coming.

But as I settle into the trip home, I realize it's time to get back to my other annual tradition.

Working the other 51 weeks so we can afford to come back next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous place ~ I don't know how I would handle the reality trip home after living in such luxury for a week.
I admire you for taking your kids. Its something they will look back on and say "every year my family and I went.....". Nice.

I enjoy reading all these blogs when people post about places they've been. I just keep adding them to my list. Maybe someday ill actually cross one off as done ;)

Janice MacLeod said...

There are a few places the undertaker has been that I never want to be.