Monday, June 7, 2010

They LOST me at the end

LOST was always a show that prided itself on raising intriguing questions each week. As it turns out, I too have a question: why did the finale suck so bad?

Like many of my fellow LOST fans, I simply can't keep up the charade anymore. I'm tired of pretending I liked the finale. That I liked investing six years (and five seasons worth of DVD's) in a show only to have virtually none of the major questions it raised answered.

Instead of a giant Egyptian statue, it may as well have been a middle finger.

So they're all dead, but at least they're dead with their soulmates, their constants. Jack's alcoholic dad is the guide, and there's - get this - a white light they walk into. They had two years notice when the show was ending, and the best they could come up with was a white light? To quote Seth Meyers and Amy Pohler: really?

Here's the truth - I feel completely betrayed. Not to say that I wasn't entertained, involved and intrigued over the years. But like the long term relationship you have that suddenly ends, you wonder what it was all for.

There's a great article by Emily Nussbaum in New York Magazine called A Disappointed Fan Is Still A Fan - How the creators of LOST seduced and betrayed their viewers. It's exactly how I feel about the show and the finale.

I was wondering what it would take to get me to appreciate the ending of The Sopranos. Now I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although very few Finales will ever live up to the best ever, Six Feet Under, at least the Lost Finale focused on what really made us invested in the show, the main characters and their relationships. I'm not religious by any stretch but the real message was that the relationships you are thrust into life with (while living) help provide redemption when you're gone. Too many people wanted Lost to be real when it always was an inventive Sci-Fi serial with characters we cared about. And with what they endured on The Island, a little life after death was the least we could give them.

Janice MacLeod said...

I'll agree with the Six Feet Under comment. And I also agree with Jeff and the disappointment at the end. We all know what we all wanted the Sideways to be and it wasn't. But, after a few weeks, Lost's series finale is still on my mind. The more I think about it, the more I see that this was a satisfying solution for all involved. And yes, I'm still pissed about the four toed statue. I'm pissed about a lot of unexplained bits. But... they gave me wiggle room to let Lost live on in my imagination long after the series is done. If they had explained everything, I'd have far more separation anxiety than I do. Now, I can revel in the possibilities and come up with my own theories. For this, I am glad.

Anonymous said...

you did get my "two words. Twin Peaks"
entry, yes?
I saw this coming from day one.