Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The other German Sheperd

The first german shepard is the Pope. The other one is mine.

As far as I can tell, apparently my dog has never read the German Sheperd manual. He's lovable instead of fierce. Assertive only when he needs to be. Long-haired instead of short-haired.

And while he scares the bejeezus out of Jehovah's Witnesses and pizza delivery guys, it's completely unintentional.

They think I'm holding him back because he's going to go after them. Actually, he only wants to make new friends. They all ask the same question, "Does your dog bite?" And I always give the same answer, "We'll find out." (Never gets old).

At the dog park, since most people haven't seen long-haired Sheperds, they insist on telling me he's a mix instead of the pure bred that he is. The people who tell me this usually have dogs that look like one of God's cruel jokes: Lab body, Pit Bull head, Chihuahua ears, Terrier tails, Dalmatian markings. I usually just smile, say nothing, and secretly hope their dogs never breed.

Sometimes my big, powerful, scary dog decides to take his dinner lying down.

I'm hiding that manual from him forever.