Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sonny at the toll booth

Some days I'm Michael. But more often than I'd like to admit, I'm Sonny at the toll booth.

Wrapped up in a fit of anger. The heat of the moment. Leaping without looking. Hopping in the car and speeding in a blind fury to bring a fast and furious revenge to the Solozzo family. Even though Tom and Michael would both tell me it's the wrong move.

Next thing you know, the toll taker drops my change and the shots ring out.

Not to say this method is always wrong or isn't occasionally justified. For example, nobody deserved an ass-kicking more than Carlo for the way he treated Connie, Sonny's sister. And really, what was Carlo thinking? That Sonny would just sit down and talk to him about it?

So yeah, I've learned a lot of life lessons from the Godfather. It's not personal, it's business. Leave the gun, take the cannoli. Never take sides against the family.

The one I still have to get down better is where Sonny's temper wound up getting him.

Maybe the answer is to hire my own personal consigliere.

Right after the bodyguards.



1 comment:

Janice MacLeod said...

I like reading your posts on "Monday, Tuesday, Thursday."