Monday, July 12, 2010

Out of context


This is how the double take happened.

Today I was sitting in Noah's Bagels, catching up with my friend Mardel who I haven't seen in a long while. Well into our third hour yammering away, in walks this attractive brunette with her boyfriend.

I glance over. She stops. Her eyes widen. She gives me a smile. I return the smile as I turn back to my friend, immediately realizing there's only one possible way to read the situation: clearly she's just with this guy for cover, and she actually goes for older, overweight, married, Jewish men with gray hair and kids.

Before I even complete the turn back to my friend, it dawns on me I know her and my head spins back over to look at her again. Hence the double take. Turns out she's my favorite barista at the Starbuck's where I do much of my freelance work (my branch office). I see her every time I'm there, and we usually talk a bit before we both get back to work.

Even though this is someone I know, someone I like, someone I see often, it took me a moment to recognize her. It was surprising to see her out of context.

After a while, I realized the context she was out of was mine, not hers. She was just as surprised to see me.

Maybe because I'm an only child, and the world does in fact revolve around me, I never think about the people I talk to in the course of a day having real lives beyond the circumstances I encounter them in. Which of course they all do.

Growing up in L.A., over the years I've seen many celebrities, people I went to high school with, ex-girlfriends and neighbors out of context.

It's always surprising. And it's usually fun.

If you run into me somewhere unexpected, don't worry. I'll be easy to recognize. I'll be the one in black.

Try not to look so surprised.

No comments: