Saturday, August 7, 2010

All that jazz

The mistake was naming him James. I should've named him Miles. Or Dizzy. Or Cootie.

I went for the traditional, solid, timeless name. But had I known my son would love playing jazz trumpet as much as he does, and be as good as he is, I might've chosen differently.

I like that one minute he enjoys the music you'd expect a boy in his early teens to like, and the next he's down the hall, in his room trying to work out Two Bass Hit or Boplicity.

He recently joined a jazz workshop group that actually plays gigs around the city. I've seen him play four times now. Each time he's more accomplished and natural than the last.

I love that he's found something he's so passionate about at such an early age. And the fact he happens to be so good at it is just icing on the cake.

No funny wrap up line here. Just extremely proud of my boy.

4 comments:

m'dizzy said...

That's awesome. throw up some video!

Anonymous said...

And guess what he WON'T be doing while he enjoys his passion???......that's right.....enjoying trouble on the street ;)
Jazz rocks.
Your son rocks.

Janice MacLeod said...

My mother says "It's all in the upbringing."

But... ummm.... well, thank God for Vicki ;-)

Jeff said...

Ain't that the truth.