Saturday, August 21, 2010

Look what iDid

As much as I want to, I just haven't been swept away by the "magical and revolutionary" iPad as much as some of my friends have.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from appreciating its elegance. Its intuitiveness. Its simplicity. As well as its overall bitchin'-ness.

But I already have an iPhone. And a 17" MacBook Pro. And between those two things, I couldn't quite see where it would fit into my life. I haven't been able to justify a reason for falling in love with - much less purchasing - the iPad. Until now.

I was in an Apple Store this morning with my partner in crime, my daughter. We had some time to kill before picking up my son. As we perused the display table with a dozen iPads on it, I wondered how this very blog would look on that screen.

Well, the answer is rockin' good news.

I loaded it on to one of them, and as you can see from the picture, it looked awesome (really awesome in person, trust me).

Like Rosie O'Donnell at a Hometown Buffet, I've always operated under the theory if one is good, two is better. And if two is better, then twelve must be even six times better than that.

So in an act of brazen vanity and shameless self-promotion, I enlisted my daughter and we proceeded to load my blog on to every iPad on the table. All of 'em. They looked amazing.

Then we thought, there's no reason all the other laptops in the store shouldn't feel the love. So we loaded my blog on them.

Suddenly, a profound feeling of loneliness and loss came over us. It took us a minute to pinpoint the source, but then we realized it was coming from the iMacs and monitors, who were feeling abandoned and alone. Discriminated against. Their self-esteem shattered.

We couldn't have that, so we loaded my blog on to those screens as well. By the time we slinked our way out of the store, virtually every screen had this blog on it.

That's not even the good part. The good part is people were reading it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up any long-term followers. But at least some new eyes got a look at a few of my posts they wouldn't have otherwise seen.

I used to complain because the only thing my kids wanted to do was go to the Apple Store.

After today, I'll definitely think different next time they ask.

No comments: