Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Too close for comfort

During the course of the day I don't usually have any reason to bring up the fact that I was a theater arts major (oh yes I was).

As the old joke goes, "Oh really? Which table?"

Obviously if I'd wanted to stick with it I would've. It's not like I didn't pursue it because I couldn't get used to having my work rejected. I mean, look at the profession I chose.

(Realizes he used the word "profession" and waits for uncontrollable wave of hysterical laughter to subside).

But instead, I just sold out...er...changed my mind...uh...paid my rent...um...decided to learn a new craft. Yeah, that's it.

Remember that quote from Jerry Maguire, "it's an up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about, ok?"

Yeah (Pauses. Looks up. Whistles nervously.), me too.

No seriously, I kid. I kid because I love.

It's not like every time I hear this song - and my son loves Weird Al so I hear it a lot - I replace the words "tour guide" with "copywriter" in my head. It's not like that at all.

Thanks a LOT Weird Al.

I have to go drink now.

2 comments:

cby said...

Every day above ground is a good day.

Al Capone

Melissa Maris said...

At least we get paid to do something creative, right? At least we don't have to stare at Excel spreadsheets and TPS reports all day. :)