Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book 'em

Every year I go with my son to Comic Con in San Diego. That's not the problem. The problem is so do 135,000 other people.

Which makes it extremely difficult to do two things: get a hotel room, and get one close enough to the event so you don't need a sherpa and seven day supply of water to get there.

Last year when Comic Con's discounted rooms became available online, I struck gold. I was on at 9AM sharp, and wound up at the new Hilton Bayfront right across the street from the Convention Center. It was particularly convenient, especially when we had to line up at 3:30 in the morning (which is worth at least 1,000 dad points) for the 10AM LOST panel. I know it's early, but when we got there we were the 400th people in line for a room that holds 6500.

It's that kind of crowd.

Having won the hotel lottery last year, I assumed I'd have similar luck this time. Except this year, Comic Con changed the way you book hotels. Last year I went online, chose my hotel, paid with a credit card and got my confirmation. Ba-da-bing!

Apparently that worked too well. So they decided to rewrite the rules.

This year I had to list 12 hotel choices in order of preference. 12 hotels - it's not Vegas, and it's not London. 12 San Diego hotels. I didn't get a confirmation until the end of the day. And while I was waiting for it I had no idea which hotel I was going to get.

I'm pretty sure you can tell by now I didn't get the one I wanted.

I called the Comic Con travel planners this morning, and expressed my unhappiness at the accommodations they booked for me. I then listened while a very calm employee, who's obviously used to fielding complaint calls from thousands of unhappy geeks dressed like Darth Maul and Wolverine, talked me off the edge. Kind of.

So now I'm on the wait list for three better, closer hotels, and I'll know in a week if I get in one of them.

I'm not sure my son appreciates all the trouble I go through to get us to this event every year.

Maybe I'll explain it to him when we're sleeping in the car.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Do you want to borrow the Land
Cruiser Dear?